Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Freshman Year at Ringling

2D Design was my most enjoyable class for first semester of freshman year at Ringling, which is surprising as initially I'd assumed it would be the least. I grew up drawing things I considered "cool" which mostly consisted of characters or creatures from my imagination, anime, cartoons, video games, etc. The idea of abstract art was just something I'd never considered I'd be interested in.. But 2D design proved me wrong. I found I really enjoyed working abstractly, and I feel I learned a lot in terms of how to think about tackling composition and what's aesthetically pleasing.







Both semesters of perspective class were a challenge, but also incredibly useful. While it was a struggle, I was happy with a lot of the work I produced in the class and feel that I now have a fairly good handle on perspective, which is a skill that I think is sometimes undervalued. 

Second Semester:



First Semester:



Animation was the most challenging class of all, as going in I had almost no real grasp on how animation worked.. But I somehow managed to get through it. 



For traditional animation each student got assigned an animal and had to design a bipedal character from what we got assigned. I was assigned a pig, and I decided to turn him into a Greek warrior boar. The name Bront is a Greek name that means "Thunder" and I thought it fit him.

Here's Bront in action:


I also did a really short experimental animation for History of Animation class. I first found the environment photos, edited the people in the background out, and then shopped in the skeleton in the hole. After that the animation was painting in photoshop by myself frame-by-frame. 




And finally, here's a piece I did in 3D design class, which was a particularly fun class. His name is Erusnox. He doesn't photograph very well but he will fuck your shit up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment